Tammi's Teeny Tiny Kitchen: Flourless Chocolate Cake
This recipe requires a bit of patience, but it’s worth the trouble. I made this for dessert when a friend invited me for dinner, it’s also gluten free!
There are so few ingredients for this recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Move the oven rack in the lower middle position.
2. Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with wax paper and grease the sides. Wrap the outside of the pan with 2 sheets of foil and set it in a large roasting pan. Bring a kettle of water to boil.
3. Beat the eggs at high speed until the volume doubles, about 5 minutes
4. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate, butter, (and an optional 1/4 cup of coffee) in a double boiler until smooth and registering 115 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Remove from heat.
5. Fold a third of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture using a rubber spatula until only a few streaks of egg are visible. Continue to fold in the remaining egg mixture until no white streaks remain
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared springform pan and smooth the surface. Put the springform pan into a roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with the boiling water until it comes about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until it has risen slightly and the edges begin to set, about 22-25 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 140 degrees.
7. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.